Myrtle's History

Myrtle is a Thames lighter or dumb barge i.e she never had an engine, but was just towed around. She was probably used for holding gravel. If I understand it correctly, her fore and aft holds would have been filled with water, and then, as the gravel was added the water would flow out. The remains of the pipes are still there in the holds, and the walls have been lined with a thin layer of concrete in the past.


Tuesday, 19 January 2010

Turning Myrtle upside down?

Yesterday I turned the Economy 7storage heaters on and it is amazing how much warmer the boat is today!
This morning   I spent quite a long time with S who built the boat and is going to do work which needs doing before I move in.
If the cost is not too great, this includes a new 'front door' so that you can enter Myrtle from the same end as you come on deck (much easier for moving stuff in!) Also I want to turn the cloakroom into an ensuite to my room, and to make a set of bedside shelves in my room by taking over a chunk of the bathroom.
I also spent the greater part of this evening on board, and noticed that the neighbouring boat has a Rayburn upstairs, and that gave me an idea that I could have the kitchen upstairs in the large living room, and even still have room for a large settee etc  I would also have the little sitting room stay as a sitting room with a gas effect coal fire and the telly.  It is the room with the best outlook  The present kitchen would then be a studio, and the office would be in the spare bedroom.  I think it would be very nice if it isn't too expensive. I will have to talk to S about it in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment