Myrtle's History

Myrtle is a Thames lighter or dumb barge i.e she never had an engine, but was just towed around. She was probably used for holding gravel. If I understand it correctly, her fore and aft holds would have been filled with water, and then, as the gravel was added the water would flow out. The remains of the pipes are still there in the holds, and the walls have been lined with a thin layer of concrete in the past.


Saturday, 30 January 2010

Movement reference markers ...

I would like to swing Myrtle around so that her main window faces out into the water rather than into the side of the neighbour's boat.  I spent sometime juggling with the mooring ropes this morning at high. I have taken two photos so that I can record any swing as it occurs ..

In this one I have lined up the pole at the front of the boat just to the right of the central structure, to see what it lines up with on the neighbouring boat.
I also took this photo ..


Here I have sighted along the side of the boat .. at the moment it lines up with the corner of the neighbouring boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment