Myrtle's History

Myrtle is a Thames lighter or dumb barge i.e she never had an engine, but was just towed around. She was probably used for holding gravel. If I understand it correctly, her fore and aft holds would have been filled with water, and then, as the gravel was added the water would flow out. The remains of the pipes are still there in the holds, and the walls have been lined with a thin layer of concrete in the past.


Thursday, 14 January 2010

Today I got the keys!

I went to Myrtle and collected the keys today, plus a lovely new letter box to put up at the end of the jetty, as a welcome gift from the people leaving her!
'S' who built the house part of the boat was there helping get the stuff off the boat, and he is going to meet me there on Monday to tell me things I need to know, plus discuss the work I want to do.
Here's a picture I took of the 'other side' of Myrtle


It was round high-tide and the snipe were feeding in the mud, when I am finally living there I use my telephoto lens to try to get some pictures of the waders etc...
There were lots of fieldfares, red-wings and lap-wings feeding on play area near the car park.
I took a picture of the row of house-boats looking back from the top of the shingle beach, looking across the 'Green' (I don't know what Shoreham people call it).  The building painted to look like a railway carriage is toilet block for the beach, with a section in the middle which could be developed into a cafe.


It is difficult to see, but there is a row of houseboats visible over the flood defence bank, just below the skyline in the distance, the one on the right being the famous 'Fische'; a 1950's German minesweeper about which there was quite a hoo-hah when she was first brought in. You will be able to see her better on the Photobucket site http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af103/Myrtle_2010/Surrounding%20area/IMG_2349.jpg

1 comment:

  1. So pleased to hear you are now the proud owner of Myrtle - she is a lucky boat!
    Good luck with the rest of the move - love the blog.
    Lol Helenxxx

    ReplyDelete