Myrtle's History

Myrtle is a Thames lighter or dumb barge i.e she never had an engine, but was just towed around. She was probably used for holding gravel. If I understand it correctly, her fore and aft holds would have been filled with water, and then, as the gravel was added the water would flow out. The remains of the pipes are still there in the holds, and the walls have been lined with a thin layer of concrete in the past.


Monday, 25 January 2010

Redshanks and Teals

When I got to Myrtle today I was not at all sure about the version of magnolia that I had used .. but after a moment or two I decided that I do like it, and will do the whole of the upper storey in the same colour.

S the B came today and we went upon to the  roof to have a look at the chimney from the present woodburner which we are taking out. The smaller one which is upstairs.

We also looked at the place the new door is going to be .. it's going to be a door for the smaller people.  The taller visitors will have to go round to the other end of the boat, and come in through the present door.

I took my old but better camera with me and kept stopping to watch the birds and try to take photos of them in spite of the bad weather.  So here are some redshank and teal ...



looking very attractive against the weed !



and feeding ..

and then more teal ..


 together and ...






with a lovely reflection .. and swimming right ..




and swimming left ...


No comments:

Post a Comment