Myrtle's History

Myrtle is a Thames lighter or dumb barge i.e she never had an engine, but was just towed around. She was probably used for holding gravel. If I understand it correctly, her fore and aft holds would have been filled with water, and then, as the gravel was added the water would flow out. The remains of the pipes are still there in the holds, and the walls have been lined with a thin layer of concrete in the past.


Sunday, 24 January 2010

Teal!

S the Builder says that the teal which are around are relatively new visitors and that their numbers have been increasing year on year.  I can see them very close from Myrtle's windows, though they are shyer when I move about outside. S the B  says that they have been getting less shy each year.  I will take my better camera to try get some good photos, but meanwhile here are some:-



The little dots are teal on the edge of the channel at low tide.



Here is a pair together,



.. and herself ....




and himself.

Other birds seen yesterday ... shell-duck (one), curlews, redshank, mallard, crow, lapwing, snipe.  It's funny, after dark, seeing the small waders in silhouette running around on the mud, back-lit by the orange street lights.

I found this link about the wildlife  .. http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Estuary2008.html

No comments:

Post a Comment