Myrtle's History

Myrtle is a Thames lighter or dumb barge i.e she never had an engine, but was just towed around. She was probably used for holding gravel. If I understand it correctly, her fore and aft holds would have been filled with water, and then, as the gravel was added the water would flow out. The remains of the pipes are still there in the holds, and the walls have been lined with a thin layer of concrete in the past.


Saturday, 10 April 2010

A safety net ..

M's Missus has added some bright orange plastic safety netting to the side of the deck to stop small children, animals and garden chairs from getting blown over-board.

The colour goes rather well! I think I may get some more for the other side .. though it does at least have some ropes ..
I was thinking of getting annual climbers to grow along it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment